If you believe that teachers and schools only educate learners and after that, it is the learner’s responsibility to cultivate then you are perhaps wide of the mark. The reality is schools and teachers not only teach academic skills but also measure how each child is doing well by acquiring necessary learning skills. The one approach to perform this is Curriculum-Based Measurement (CBM).
Along with developing teaching-learning skills, the curriculum-based measurement is also the subject matter of different teacher training courses. In reality, the thing is schools and teachers can educate the academic skills throughout the year but somewhere they are failing to evaluate the amount to which learners are acquiring learning skills.
Now, what is Curriculum-Based Measurement (CBM)?
Also known as Curriculum-Based Assessment, CBM is the continual and direct evaluation of embattled skills in essential areas.
- CBM is a technique that teachers are now using to find out how the learners are developing in basic scholastic parts such as reading, math, science, writing, and spelling.
- It is a data-based sculpts of learners’ growth monitoring by using materials taken directly from the teaching-learning core curriculum.
As different exams are planned to test the knowledge of a child, at certain times, they don’t signify how well the child is developing through different course bits and pieces. Here the Curriculum-Based Assessment plays its part.
How does it work?
Generally, curriculum-based assessment usually lasts from 1 to 5 minutes where the teacher checks the answer sheet of the learner to find the child’s score. This can happen in reading practice as well where a child may be asked to read aloud for a given time. Then each learner’s scores are recorded and compared to the anticipated performance yearly. After that, calculating all the scores the teacher makes a decision whether to prolong the same instructional way or to modify it.
How curriculum-based assessments help out a child to nurture?
- A Proper Systematic Track of a Child: As the curriculum-based assessments are being taken regularly to deal with students’ academic needs hence this maintains an accurate track of a child’s development. This will aid teachers to think about their teaching practice by giving a clear visual depiction of the scholastic performance target of a child.
- Gives Motivation to Learners: Encouragement and praising a learner is a great way to motivate him/her. As curriculum-based assessments are being taken on a regular basis hence showing students their growth frequently can aid them to endeavour for better grades by setting more striving academic objectives.
- Reinforce Parent Connection: Parent can feel confident that curriculum-based measurement is a precise needle of their child’s growth for the expertise that are being calculated. A good connection between parental participation and academic success is constructive in most of the cases across different grade levels of learners. It is perfect for families who flourish on a very structured schedule.
- A Reliable Alternative Way of Testing: From the ages, generation after generation the conformist technique of testing method is just to conduct exams and tests. However, curriculum-based measurement is completely different in itself where teachers record a child’s growth in technical competence, basic knowledge like reading and writing.
- Enlarge Instructional Methodologies: As the curriculum-based measurement is close monitoring of student development and growth hence teachers can also perk up or amend their instructional methodologies depending upon the capacity of the child.
Let’s sum it up:
The curriculum-based measurement method is helpful for students as:
- An effective instructional strategy
- Correctly and precisely assess student progress
- Maintain a complete data sheet of the child’s progress
- Enhance the parental relationship with their child’s learning practice
- Evaluate the usefulness of different instructional ways
- Develop the teaching strategies of teachers
- Motivates learners
As a teacher, he/she plays a critical role in nurturing the right culture for his/her student accomplishment. The curriculum-based measurement is pretty straightforward and currently the leading teacher training courses are including the curriculum-based measurement lesson plans by understanding the significance of it in a successful teaching-learning practice across the globe.